Friday, 7 February 2014

John Duncan - Blind Date

'Blind Date'
John Duncan
1980

Review by Elek Malcolm-Madill
 

Genre/s: Harsh Noise, Experimental 
For Fans Of: Затухание, Stalaggh

I don't even know how to begin to review blind date, other than by stating that it is fifteen minutes of highly, highly disturbing shit. Without giving much away, when the single title track on the original cassette was distributed in the 1980s and originally shown in a pitch black room as a performance art piece, it was attended by reporters from a popular magazine of the day called “High Perfomance”. The magazine's staff refused to report on the track after it was shown at the performance- on the grounds that it was, and I quote; “highly morally objectionable”. I hate to sound too vague about it but to borrow from one of my fellow reviewers piece on “Projekt Terror” by Stalaggh, it's also best described as “the musical (I use that term very loosely) version of a nightmare”. Further explanations are given at the opening of the track, and it's something you'll really have to listen to yourself.

TRACKLISTING:
1.Blind Date

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but this is just fucking stupid.
    "Men are conditioned to rage in our cruel society and wahh wahh wahh blah blah blah... so that's why I fucked a corpse" good for you, you edgy pretentious cocksucker.
    When you take away the context, all it is is fifteen minutes of scraping sounds: nothing more.
    How about I record an hour of silence with the occasional noises of moving things around in my house, then preface it with an intro like "I totally jacked off with earthworms and antifreeze in this recording, because of the government & shit:" it'd resonate about as well as this .mp3 can keep people awake.
    This might've made for a good story for a black metal band in the 90's, but as a piece of audio [f]art it's hardly worth my time.

    ReplyDelete