Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Lizzard Wizzard - Self Titled

'Self Titled'
Lizzard Wizzard
2013

Review by Elek Malcolm-Madill

Genre/s: Doom Metal, Sludge Metal
For Fans Of: Conan, Slabdragger, Wampus Cat, Warhorse

I'm not gonna lie, I saw the artwork and name for this one while browsing some different music and thought "Cool, I'll bite". From there when I listened to the opening track, while also reading the lyrics: "Fly me to the moon, on your bong, your bong of doom, hail Sagan- fuck, twilight of the terminator" and went "well I guess I have to post this now"- a huge shit-eating grin on my face the entire time. Aside from the fact that Lizzard Wizzard makes me chuckle a bit over their not-terribly-serious approach to doom metal, the work itself turned out to be some great stuff. Coming from Brisbane, Australia, Lizzard Wizzard has definitely got the feeling of immense size that characterizes doom/sludge down perfectly- not an easy achievement, especially for their debut album. The bass grooves by at a great pace and works its way through the album with help in progression from the drums that ease the switch back and forth between segments of heavy as fuck sludge to speedy and delicious riffs all of which are backed by lyrics that remind me a lot of "The Druid" by Sleep. Lizzard Wizzard is seriously great, as soon as the opening track hits you you'll be in for a great ride that'll make you start again from track one over and over again every time it finishes.


TRACKLISTING:
1. Twilight of the Terminator
2. Total Handjob Future
3. Chaaaaarles
4. Bong Dive
5. Game of Cones
6. Reptile Dysfunction
7. Dogs Die in Hot Cars

No comments:

Post a Comment