Sunday 6 October 2013

Whirr - Distressor

'Distressor'
Whirr
2011

Genre/s: Shoegaze, Dreampop
For Fans Of: Nothing, My Bloody Valentine, Deafheaven, True Widow

Admittedly, I'm fashionably late to this whole 'shoegaze' thing. Its been around for decades, and its  had something of a renaissance with bands like Deafheaven incorporating into their post-black metal and MBV releasing a new album, so it was probably about time I checked it out. I was introduced to Whirr by a friend - and while I was not expecting much, my cold, dark heart was moved by the dreamy, warm sonic vibes this EP here put out. I like my music as abrasive and un-listenable as possible, yet I like this. Whirr are a noisy band, don't get me wrong, but rather than channeling their energy into complete audio terrorism, they mould it into this ethereal monolith of sound, with an ebb and flow that just washes over you like thousands of fluffy bunnies. The vocals (both male and female) fade in and out of the fade, and are almost like another musical instrument, contributing to the many textures that make up this release. I get it if you're willing to pass this up - there are no blastbeats or growls or screaming - BUT, if you want to get into the genre, and you want to embrace your softer, more friendlier musical brethren, this is a good place to start.

TRACKLIST:
1. Preface
2. Leave
3. Blue
4. Ghost
5. Meaningless
6. Child
7. Sandy
8. Leave (Demo Version)
9. Meaningless (Demo Version)

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment